Update for Best Walk Behind Mower for Hills Review in 2019. Get final price, pros cons, reviews, buying guide and all more another update here.
We understand your choice of a hilly surrounding as it gives your home a quintessential look. Such a picturesque view gives you a sense of protection and adventure. But have you considered the task of mowing the lawn on such landscape? Yes! There are things to be considered: mowing on steep hills can be expensive as a result of the obstacles that the mower would have to face; also, it can be dangerous because you are prone to missing your steps and missing your steps can be dangerous in such a place. What you deserve in this situation is a lawn mower that can help you with these challenges of mowing on the hills.
It’s possible that you would have heard of “specific lawn mowers for steep hills”. We advise you- forget that gibberish. It’s all marketing gimmick by manufacturers to make more sales by making you think they have solved a problem with no existing solution. What we have done with this article is to help you pay attention to the regular lawn mowers but find that which is suitable for the hills. Capisce? Choose best from a short video.
Now let’s take a dive into five mowers we have selected as the top choices for the hilly landscapes.
Best Walk Behind Mower for Hills List
Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21
Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO
American Lawn 50514
1. Snapper 7800982
This push lawn mower has been considered the best lawn mower for those interested in the bagging feature of a mower. The HI VAC deck of the mower has a vacuum-like suction that enables it to effectively cut and baggage grass.
HI VAC stroll mowers give your yard an extremely clear end.
This Snapper Mower 21″ walk-behind lawn mower furthermore contains a rear wheel drive system with excessive 10″ rear wheels for a grander tug on hills and thick grass.
The reliable Briggs & Stratton expert structure OHV engine retains you going with expert-grade options from leading to quieter operation and elevated sturdiness.
The Snapper 7800982 model provides you the added easiness of electrical start together with recoil start.
Outstanding features of the Snapper 7800982
- Safety feature: This snapper is a walk-behind rear wheeler that has superior traction on hills and thick grasses.
- Power: the mower has a dependable Briggs and Stratton skilled sequence OHV engine. The advantage of this is that it provides a long-lasting time of use with low noise and outstanding performance.
- Easy to use: The mower gives assured ease of operation with its electrical and recoil starter.
Our opinion about the Snapper 7800982
Having tested the mower and considering reviews too, this mower is a good choice for your hill mowing. One pull starts the engine! And it moves along without leaving anything behind.
Make your purchase
The Snapper 7800982 has advanced features that would make it a good buy if you choose to. It also comes with a commendable warranty and includes 3 years residential use and 90 days commercial use. This gives you every reason to rest assured with the purchase
2. Honda HRR216K9VKA
We present to you one of the greatest on our list: The Honda HRR216K9VKA. The gas-powered mower is built to perform the daunting task you’ll encounter on your hilly lawn. The self-propelled mower is one you should consider.
Outstanding features of the Honda HRR216K9VKA
- Self-propelled: It has been stated in our header. The mower is a self-propelled one which makes pushing it a simple proposition – you simply have to engage the self-propelled function and the mower will push itself along; all you’ll have to do is guide it.
- Variable speed: This mower has great speed. But this should not be a worry for you as it has a variable speed option where the speed can be adjusted to what you want. It can be adjusted from 0 to 4 mph.
- Auto choke: You can say goodbye to having to prime pumps with the choke; which can lead to the engine being flooded if care is not taken. This lawnmower has an auto choke so you can put priming in the past. All you do is pull on the cord to start and voila! You have it working.
- Micro-cut: our Honda uses a twin blade system that allows it to achieve a precise satisfactory micro cut on your lawn thereby giving your lawn a sharp and well-manicured look
Our opinion about The Honda HRR216K9VKA
The Honda HRR216K9VKA is easily foldable. This is great for easy storage in your garage or shed. It also comes with a 3-year warranty that covers the mechanical parts.
Make your purchase
The Honda HRR216K9VKA is a reliable mower that comes at a fair cost. The self-propelled feature is a significant feature but bears in mind it has a powerful engine that helps to make mulching faster and effective.
3. Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21
Troy-Bilt’s TB330 163cc Gas 21 inch TriAction 3-in-1 Self-Propelled Mower is fortified with TriAction cutting process that works as a rake bumper to carry grass straight up, a deliberately created cutting edge for better mulch and a symmetrical deck for grander grass movement, removing clunking. It has a smooth and friendly variable speed rear-wheel-drive transmission. It operates on a Briggs & Stratton 725EXi Series motor and 3-in-1 ability to mulch, side discharge or bag. The Troy-Bilt TB330 lawn mower helps your quest to mow the lawn on the hills.
Outstanding features of the Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc
• Power: The Troy-Bilt TB330 is powered by a 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine. This will leave you assured of its ability to give you the required power to mow through the hills.
• Add-ons: The Troy-Bilt TB330 comes with a 21-Inch TriAction cutting system and a built-into the deck wash. It has a 3-in-1 side discharge ability, mulch or rear bag.
• Design: It has a single lever adjustable speed drive regulator with four top speed situations for tailored ease and control. It comes with 8 x 8-inch high-performance wheels and a flexible handle for further comfort while mowing.
Our opinion about the Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc
The Troy-Bilt’s TB330 mower is a machine that will achieve your lawn cutting. A self-propelled lawn mower is an advantage and this mower has got it. With its 163cc Briggs and Stratton engine, this mower is getting itself a lot of positive reviews online.
Make your purchase
The Troy-Bilt’s TB330 has a 21-inch cutting deck with a combined deck wash. It has options for side discharge, rear mulching, and rear bagging. The wheels are 8 inches in the front and 8 inches in the rear thereby allowing ease of movement on the hills. You can get more information about the Troy-Bilt’s TB330 and make your purchase after checking all your requirements
4. GreenWorks 25142
The GreenWorks 25142 Lawn Mower weighs a 39 pounds making it one with the least weight among our picks. With this weight, it enables quick assembly to get started. It has 5-position height modification hence you can enjoy cutting from 7/8 inches to 2 3/4 inches; and with its 10-amp electric motor, you have needed power for effective mowing.
Outstanding features of the GreenWorks 25142
- Powerful 10-Amp Motor: The GreenWorks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25142 gives great power alongside no maintenance cost and an environmentally friendly mowing experience
- 16-Inch Mower Deck: the deck is made of durable poly plastic design.
- 7-Position Single Lever Height Control: there is an easily adjustable cutting height on all wheels with the aid of a single lever.
- Easy Fold Handle System: With its locks on the handle, folding and storage are made quick and easy.
- Cord Lock Feature: The GreenWorks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25142 has a cord lock feature that helps prevent the cord from disconnecting while you mow.The GreenWorks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25142 has a cord lock feature that helps prevent the cord from disconnecting while you mow.
Our opinion about the GreenWorks 25142
For the hills you need maneuverability and the GreenWorks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25142 provides you with that with its 6-inch front wheels and 7-inch rear wheels. It also comes with a 4-year warranty- a rear case in the industry. This mower proves itself to us to be considered among our top five mowers for the hills.
Make your purchase
The GreenWorks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25142 is very well designed. Based on our mowing experience with it we can tell you it is built for rough terrain and has plenty of power to mow the hilly lawn. You can make your purchase from trustworthy seller.
5. POWERWORKS 60V
The POWERWORKS 60V 21-inch SP Mower is a self-propelled mower with an adjustable speed lever for user speed preference. It has a more quiet engine when compared to others on our list. Its superior 51cm steel cutting blasé width takes care of the grass as the mower slides along. It has a 3-in-1 function for mulching, rear collection, and side discharge. With its 55 liters grass collector bag, you have more time for mowing and fewer occasions for dumping.f
Outstanding features of the POWERWORKS 60V
- 3-in-1 function: POWERWORKS 60V 21-inch SP Mower provides mulching, rear collection, and side discharge.
- 51 cm steel cutting blade: Its steel cutting blade comes with a brushless motor technology
- Self-propelled: A self-propelled mower is just what you need for safety and convenience.
Our opinion about the POWERWORKS 60V
The POWERWORKS gives longer run-time, more torque, and more power. It comes with a 4-year warranty on the tool and a 2-year warranty on the battery. That is an industry leader in warranty. That is a signal you would not be making a wrong choice with this purchase.
Make your purchase
Users of the POWERWORKS 60V 21-inch SP Mower have been benevolent in dropping positive reviews about this powerful machine. In our hands, it was a pleasant experience mowing with this. With the ability to use one battery while you charge the other battery you the continual run-time you need to mow the hills.
Let’s start this read by first explaining to you the things you should consider before buying a lawn mower for your hills.
Features to Consider Before Purchasing a Lawn Mower for Hills
We have established that mowing on a hilly slope can be dangerous. So, when considering a mower for that hilly slope we expect that you will put safety first. Secondly, you want a mower that is efficient and effective. Thirdly, you want to be sure that you’re buying for a good price. All these and more are what we have considered in this article as a guide in helping you to a successful mowing experience.
- Wheel Drive Mode :Safety comes first, we have established. For a successful mowing on the hills, we choose the drive mode mowers. We have the rear-wheel, front-wheel, and all-wheel drives. The best pick for hilly mowing is the rear-wheel drive. This is because a rear-wheel mower has excellent traction. You will find this helpful in situations where you have difficulties in controlling the mower. An all-wheel is good as well but it doesn’t beat the rear-wheel drive.
- Type of Lawn Mower: Three types of lawn mowers are walk-behind lawn mowers, zero-turn lawn mowers and riding lawn mowers. When considering hilly slopes the walk-behind lawn mowers fit the role. Walk-behind mowers give you the opportunity to put your weight behind the machine as you move along hilly slopes. They have the added advantage as they have press buttons located on the right side of the mower that enables easy control of the mower. The disadvantage of zero-turn lawn mowers and riding lawn mowers on hilly slopes is that they can easily topple.
- Deck Size: The deck size is another consideration because it is a determining factor in how long it will take you to complete your mowing. However, based on our research sloppy hills are better mowed with shorter decks. Yes, large open yards require a deck size between 42-54 inches cutting width but the advantage of a shorter deck on a sloppy hill is that it will give you control. You will find it easy to move the mower around the many obstacles of a hill.
: Definitely, a lightweight lawn mower is what you require for the hills. A heavy lawn mower would be difficult to transport on hills. It would also be difficult to maneuver it in a tough terrain like the hills. Well, we bring to your notice that most lightweight mowers do not have the power you require to do your mowing task. So in making your choice for a lightweight moweryou need to put into consideration the power efficiency of the mower. being lightweight is important but having the required power is more necessary.
- Possible Attachments
:up to the weight, in helping you choose a less heavy mower, consider the various accessories added to the mower. The attachments are usually to aid functionality; however, you should know this adds to the overall weight. What you can do is consider mowers with unnecessary attachments and see if you can make do without them.
- Ease of Operation: A machine is needed to make work less stressful. You don’t need a mower that adds to the complication of mowing. It is advisable to choose a model acclaimed to be easy to use. The operation must be less of a hassle. Examples of things to look out for in this case are cruise control, assembling, and ease of changing batteries.
Final Talk About the Best Walk Behind Mower for Hills
It can be tiring when mowing hilltops even if you are using a mower with great power. We advise that you take time to rest for your safety. You need enough strength to be in full control of your mower. we have made picks from self-propelled mowers for your best interest because they provide reasonable ease in this rough terrain. We wish you the best mowing experience!